Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Home Sick, Honey?


Working with children means wading through a lively brew of germs each day. One nasty variety has found a way through my defenses - I'm home with a sore throat and cough. Over the summer I heard about the healing properties of Manuka Honey. This is the perfect opportunity to experiment upon myself.

This jar of honey was destined for Red after I read that honey is a wonderful wound dressing. I used it on the very large burn he surprisingly got from a herbal product I had really loved. The honey seemed to definitely speed his healing. Last night I "borrowed" Red's honey and brought the jar home cuz I was feeling poorly by the end of the night.


Manuka honey is a product of New Zealand and is produced by bees who gather the pollen of the manuka (Leptospermum scoparium) tree. It has the healing properties of all honey (a sort of natural hydrogen peroxide) and the potent antibacterial and antifungal properties of the manuka tree.

Today my experiment is easy and tasty. The recommended use of manuka honey for a sore throat is to savor a teaspoon several times through the day. YUM!. Meanwhile, I'm going to be learning more about the uses of manuka honey. Here are some sites I have bookmarked.

http://www.manukahoneyusa.com/FAQ.htm

http://store.thewildbee.com/horenaan.html

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/f-w98/teatrees.html

4 comments:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Hope you are feeling better.

Cheryl said...

HA! I bought some Manuka honey, too! I actually bought it for my DOG (he has itchies all over and is losing his hair...LONG STORY...), but I took some when I had bronchitis about 3 weeks ago and I had a coughing fit!!! I didn't cough again for 12 hours. The dog doesn't get it any more, I DO!!! I teach 3rd graders and believe me, they bring in EVERY GERM known to mankind to class! I LOVE the stuff!!! Pricey, but SO worth it!

One Red Horse said...

Hi Cheryl - how did the honey work with your dog? I really think it helped me get well quicker. Third graders are walking germ factories. Stay well! Cherie

Manuka Honey said...

Manuka Honey is an excellent natural healing agent that has been found to treat a variety of different health conditions without any negative side effects.

HoneymarkProducts.com