Tuesday, October 21, 2008

In the Redwood Barn



It is late, almost 9:00 pm, and I am the last human left sweeping up after my little herd of two. Red and Lyra have been turned back out into the general pasture. There is a slight mist, all is quiet but the the occasional stamp, snort, or crunches of horses getting ready to settle in for the night. Coyotes begin to sing. The mist thickens, the wild creeps in closer and closer. If I stand very still, there beside the manure pile, I will see the fox troops emerge from under the barn and out of the creek beds, intent on gathering any tasty bits left by the humans. Deer quickly move in, flying over paddock fences to check for left over hay and grain. In the general pasture the herd moves to the cover of the Redwoods. In the Redwood Barn I close my tack room door and, heart full of thanks, head home to my own bed.

1 comment:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

I love that picture. No better way to end your day than in a big ol' barn that smells like horses, hay, and oiled leather.