Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Wind is from the North


and carries the feel of winter. Overnight, horses have slipped into their winter attire, fuzzy and solid against the cold. I haven't ridden for a week, but have worked on both horses' hoofs. Lyra has lost ground to her frightening memories, we are trying to recover the rhythm that soothes her fears as she stands in the Redwood barn.


When I enter the general pasture my many horse friends notice immediately. From a respectful distance they watch my every move, their hopefulness visible in their gleaming eyes. Many general pasture horses rarely see their humans. The pasture grass has become sparse and the cold eats up calories. I offer a friendly touch and an occasional carrot. I wish I could offer more to those who wait at the gate for owners who seldom visit.


Lyra and Red now come immediately when I call them. We have come early to the time of year when they rely on their evening crunchies (Safe Choice for Red, LMF Equine Senior for Lyra) to balance the scarce grass. Each evening I so enjoy the site of Lyra coming to me, it is been months since predator woman had to assist me in catching my sweet mare.





Coal - Red's beloved "boss" mare.


My friend Jerico eating blackberries.


Lyra Halfmoon coming in from the cold.


Red, about to get a touch up on his bevels.










4 comments:

Diana said...

Wow, beautiful pictures.
Nice blog.

Please visit:

http://bali-universe.blogspot.com

Keep blogging.

Good luck.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

I often wonder how lonely horses are that don't get attention from their owners everyday. I also wonder how lonely the owners are not seeing their horses.
Makes my heart hurt thinking about it. I am one of those people who NEED to see my horses. I desperately miss the two that a currently away from home.

Cheryl said...

Yes, we have had a cold, northern wind here in the low desert, too! Temperatures have fallen. I've opened up all the doors and windows to "air out" the house. It feels good!!!

Esther said...

What a lovely place you have! The horses really looks as if they're thriving!

Greetings from West Africa,
Esther