Saturday, December 20, 2008

Grumpy Red Horse

Oh my! Look at the face I caught on film - again. Red is NOT happy. I'm guessing he is sick, sick, sick of having that brat Lyra always tagging along. ENOUGH ALREADY. Time to have mom to himself.

Today, my first day of winter vacation, I got in some wonderful one-on-one time with both of my horses. Because it is so dark, cold, wet, and nasty I just have to get Red and Lyra at the same time at night after work. Originally I had planned to rotate stall time - every other night one horse would eat in the stall and one with me after riding. Unfortunately, Lyra's stall issues have proven very difficult and most nights both horses eat side by side, tied in the Redwood Barn. Red has been a really good sport but I think his patience is wearing thin.


Today I had a glorious ride on Lyra. Look at her! Beet pulp is such great stuff. Lyra is gaining back the weight she lost in late October and her sweet, funny personality continues to be more and more visible. When we finished riding I took her on a walk down the lane that separates the paddocks at Freshwater. We walked by Red who was waiting in a round pen. He thought I was leaving him and began making the funniest, squeaky, most forlorn little whinnies I've ever heard. They worked. I couldn't stand to hear my Red Horse so miserable.


While Red ate some more in the Redwood Barn, I led Lyra out to the general pasture. She lingered by the gate and tried to call me back with low pitched wufflie sounds. I am so in love with both of these horses. And so touched to see they also experience an emotional connection and want to spend time with me. Red was the next one to go for a ride. A couple of turns down the lane and then across the street to practice being a brave, trail horse. Whoops. I swear Red walked on tiptoe the entire time, spooking and snorting at each and every blackberry leaf as if they might be sheltering a pack of mountain lions. Silly Red Horse.

3 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

I take that you pasture board your horses? You do all the work? Sounds like they both need you at the same time...Yes, it looks like that beet pulp is working.
Lori

CoyoteFe said...

You're a good Mom. And, Red's face is worth a thousand words!

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Lyra looks good.
Red I don't like sharing the DOR either, but that is the way it goes sometimes. Lately Freedom needs a lot of extra attention, he is old so that is okay.