Saturday, January 31, 2009

Our New Facility (a tiny round pen)


Tiny but with a huge impact on how I can now manage my horses each evening.  Many nights just getting Red and Lyra, feeding them together, and cleaning up took so much time I had little left to ride.  Now I can put Lyra in the round pen and spend time with Red.  My original plan had been to have the horses trade off nights with one taking meals in the stall, then the other.  Lyra's extreme stall panic has so far kept that plan from working.  But now the round pen will serve the same purpose.  

Is Lyra happy?  Not even close. Check the photo series to get a feel for her distress. Is Red happy?  You know it! This means he doens't have to share mom so often with that brat Lyra.













9 comments:

CoyoteFe said...

Ha! I like that brat Lyra! :-)

Janie said...

Nice round pen. Should be handy for training, too.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Looks like Lyra has an extreme case of claustrophobia.
Nice that the pen is the to make things easier

One Red Horse said...

Fe - I like that little bratty girl too. Actually, Red's far, far higher up the brat scale than she could ever hope to be.

Janie - I have longed for a round pen for training. Interestingly, the folks who lease one to keep their horses in never use them for training. They are built up in the middle to the height of mini hills. I have to think about what I want to add to "mine" as far as gravel and footing material.

One Red Horse said...

C Jack - she sure does! Tying (so much better now) and Stalls (so much worse). She can tolerate the round pen but it stresses her.

Latigo Liz said...

Wow. That is a TINY round pen! Better than a stall at least. ;)

One Red Horse said...

Liz - tiny is right. And that is where some horses live all the time, tiny round pen and stall. Glad I have it as a "holding" pen.

mountain.mama said...

Those are great pictures--Lyra's personality really shines through!

Esther Garvi said...

I'd love a round pen to train in!
What are you and Red going to do now that you have all this time (together) on your hands?
Give Lyra a big kiss from me!
Isolde sends a big hug, saying she also dislikes being tied up... No fun in that! Unless you can chew on the rope, that is... :-)