Thursday, April 16, 2009

Finally!!!!!!






Notice anything about these windchimes?  They are perfectly still, hanging quiet in the sun.  There is NO wind.  Finally.  Quickly I collect my garden tools, and fire up the lawn mower.  


There is a serious jungle starting in my front yard.  Weeks of rain, wind, rain and wind, and did I mention bronchitis?  I don't even want to talk about my back yard.  Notice there are no pictures.  Here is a hint - I can find the dogs by looking for the tip of their tails, er, Lena doesn't have a tail, looking for the tip of Stella's tail


Much, much better.  I was even able to do some weeding.  I carry on a campaign to claim my garden from two invasive plants.  One is a mint I planted.  Silly, silly, silly.  Thought it would be nice for tea.  That mint is the T-Rex of the plant world.

Then there is this nasty stuff.  Bind weed.  It is the most insidious, tenacious, evil creature in all of plantdom.  My property was infested with it when I moved in. Green pestilance.  And it has a huge start on me this year.  Not at all good.

When I got to the ranch, the herd was lounging by the gate.  And who should be closet?  Lyra!!
Usually she is the horse farthest from the gate, as in many, many acres away.  Here she is just a few feet.  And LOOK, I call her and . . . 


She turns around and begins to come to me.  Finally!!!!!!  Lyra coming when I call her.  Amazing!




Red was extremely opionionated today, as in "I see no good reason why I should have to go ALL the way down the lane." Then half way we saw the herd of Freshwater deer.  

They seem to know they are welcome and safe.  The horses find them good company and they find what the horses don't eat.


Look at silly Red Horse.  "No Red, deer have NEVER been known to munch down on horses.  Don't worry so!"












5 comments:

Esther Garvi said...

Oh, that was hillarious! I loved Lyra's shaking her head - Arwen does that all the time. The only exception is that when Arwen does it, it really means No, I DON'T want to come right now and PLEASE don't make me! :-)

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Very nice post. I am so happy Lyra is comeing when you call her name. Red looks grand...what type of bridle is that?

Lori Skoog said...

I can appreciate the lack of wind! You've had quite a spring...hope you are feeling much better now. I mowed yesterday too, but fortunately we did not have all that rain. Don't you love the way horses communicate? Have a great day.

Lori Skoog said...

I'm back...just looked at the blog of Spartacus Jones and saw your question for me. When I went to grad school at Syracuse University I bought a Guild Mark III
guitar at the bookstore (of all places). Singing in a tiled bathroom was the best! Now, Gary and I are both in a chorus....we sing every week and will be doing our spring performance at the end of May. I may have to figure out how to get something on my Journal.

mountain.mama said...

I'm trying not to be insanely jealous of no wind! We have been having gusts up to 50 mph for what feels like forever. And oh, the green grass! Even though the mowing is a pain, we don't have much of that either. It will come.

Your horses are beautiful and it's fun to read about their personalities.