Sunday, June 28, 2009

At the Half-Ass Flat Ride




Friday afternoon my friend Laura and I headed south to Capetown, California for the Back Country Horseman Redwood Unit's Half-Ass Flat Ride. I don't know that I have ever been on any event as well conceived and coordinated as this one! You can see in the photos that the terrain and scenery was amazing. What you don't see is the hearty, delicious food that was part of the sign up fee - all our meals from Friday night to Sunday afternoon. We met alot of great people, had two days of great rides, tightened our camping skills, and experienced immensely rewarding and significantly challenging trail experiences with our horses.


This is a panormic view of the country we covered on our Saturday ride. We did the long ride in the morning and then switched to the medium ride group which got us back to camp about 2 hours sooner than if we stayed with the long riders. My dang knee and ankle demanded the change. Stupid O.L.D. Syndrome!


Here is the view NW from our camp. There were 150 + folks there for the weekend.



Here is a shot as we headed down the hill to Capetown.
Does it give you a sense of the VERY steep drop into the valley?



Check out our camp and extremely cool, portable electric fence. Jerico, Laura's arab, is turning to check up on his mom. Laura and I have done several weekend camps together and I sure appreciate our good team work. It makes for a safe and fun adventure.



After traveling down a river, up one ridge, down across a valley and up another ridge the long ride group headed toward a STEEP hillside taking us back down to the ocean. This picture shows the windswept pasture approaching the drop off. The wind was intense, as was the incline. Red did an exceptional job with this part of the trip. He did not spook once, was steady and sure-footed, and ignored the annoying sound of my windbreaker's hood flapping in the wind.



What a good Red Horse!



This part of the trail headed up the ridge to the lunch camp. We covered about 14 miles, even with switching groups. The trail from the beach to lunch camp had a steady increase in elevation and several stretches of relatively short but intense climbs. Red showed his great heart and scrambled up every steep spot but I need to work alot more on his conditioning.



I Loved, no - I ADORED my new EZ Ride stirrups - they took much of the strain off my knee and ankle. If you have any joint issues, do yourself a huge favor purchase a pair. Happy, satisfied, and totally pooped, I am enjoying a chai tea while I wait for my Aleve to kick in.



In many ways, Red and Jerico have gotten to be outstanding trail partners. They tolerate each other in all situations and show absolutely no agression. Regretfull, my one really significant, potentially dangerous challenge involved their co-dependence attachment. Red displayed extreme "buddy sour" behavior the second day. While he did well encountering many unexpected surprises and coping with 150 other horses with no spook, he became highly agitated if separated from Jerico. More than once I felt his behavior was seriously unsafe. It also dimished my enjoyment of an otherwise awesome ride to the beach on Sunday.

Guess my next training project will deal with the buddy sour horse on the trail.

ps: once this ride was opened to mules only - then the BCHC opened it up to all equines and changed the name of the ride to the "half ass" flat ride.


10 comments:

jaya said...

I remember you blog oftenly on because of the content makes very nice to read. Also I got some of the social networking website and online friends community website to get more friends for fun and entertainment to reach right destination about online friends.



Indian Friends Online Community


Social Network website


Make Money Online

Lori Skoog said...

Thanks for sharing your weekend with us. Breathtaking scenery...especially the ocean!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Looks like everyone had a great time and the scenery was beautiful. I love the name of the ride too, very funny, wonder who came up with it.

One Red Horse said...

Hi Lori and Grey Horse - ah, and jaya who I think "spammed me". I forgot to tell the story of the name - gotta go and add a "ps".

Esther Garvi said...

Wow, that hill towards the ocean was stunning!!! It took my breath away!

mountain.mama said...

That doesn't look like a half-ass flat ride to me! Great post.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Looks like a great time! So glad it went well and was so well ogranized.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

You have an award...come visit my spotted awesomeness to pick it up.

Once Upon an Equine said...

What a wonderful experience. I would love to go horse camping/trail riding like that some day. I will add that to my bucket list.

Cute meaning behind the name of the ride.

I'm curious, the portable electric fence, was is powered by solar or a generator/battery of some sort? I was just telling my husband last week that I'd like to go horse camping and use a protable electric fence.

Crayons said...

Oh la la! From the middle of a small city in the Midwest, I feel as if I've taken a vacation before even making my coffee.

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. This post has expanded my notion of the possible.

Also, I got a thrill from reading the note you left on my blog. We both burned that many journals at the turning of a year.