Thursday, June 25, 2009

Fixing Bessie Blue (a summer adventure in process)




My husband (deceased) was a mechanic. During our marriage (circa 70's - 80's) we would buy old vehicles, fix them and sell them. Bruce taught me a few mechanical skills. A few. But enough to leave me with a sort of compulsion to try to fix my vehicles when they don't work. Sometimes this is good. Sometimes I think I'm crazy. My track record is about 50/50.

My current challenge. Bessie Blue is not starting consistently. She has juice but the starter only cooperates when it feels like it. Been at this for a couple of days. I mechanic like molasses. Every step has to be considered, re-considered, researched, and considered again.



My first challenge - how to safely put a 1986 F150 up on jack stands. My son loaned me his, but they were to small. I am now the proud owner of a 3 ton jack and jack stands. This stage took me a full day. Just to be sure and safe. Dang. Folks - raise your girls to use tools. Give them their own tool box when they leave home.



3 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

You go girl!!! I'm very proud of you!

mountain.mama said...

Hahaha, I was going to say You go girl too! I admire your pluck.

Crayons said...

Hi,
I have come to you via Cate's blog. I love the feel of your blog -- even without having read more than three posts. It seems reverent and fun and thoughtful.

My ex-husband is a mechanic and truck driver. I could relate so well to the photos that you published.

How great also that you are looking out for the welfare of horses. It is inspiring and moving to see.

Finally, your bio sentence about the second half of life really touched me.