Saturday, July 18, 2009

Back Lifts for Red



Having never been taught to round his back, Red's back tends to be pretty "hollow." One of my barnmates told me about a "butt scratch" that triggers a back-lifting reflex. Check out the difference.


We've been doing several of these each day. It is hard work and not one of Red's favorite things.


You can see about where I place my fingers to get this response. I scratch up and down and like magic Red rolls his pelvis and lifts his back. There is a good article on KBR Horse Net, "Care for Horses' Backs". The author calls this reflex the "equine sit up".



Good thing I can totally trust Red to stand while I touch him anywhere.

4 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Excellent! I am going to try this on Berlin. Thanks.

Sydney said...

Thats a reflex that helps horses when predators would jump on their back. Just like someone hitting your knee and you kicking out. Another good one that I always do to Indigo is scratch her belly in a raking motion (imagine tiger claws across the back of the underside of their belly and do that)when I massage a horse that is "upside down" I get a lot of results with this if their owners continue.

horseideology said...

Thanks for sharing that link. I've seen that page before and it is really helpful!

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Jack has to do back lifts too. It really helps with his collection. I use a spot on his belly, carrot stretches between his front hooves and tail pulls