Sunday, August 30, 2009

Gathering my Energy on the Last Day of Summer Vacation




Last year I walked the general pasture on my last day of summer vacation and took these photos. Today, I'm again readying myself to make the energy shift that my blessing of summer vacation requires - upshifting to a much, much faster pace. I think greatest adjustment for me in returning to my job is the constant, in depth engagement with lots and lots of people.


Throughout summer I maintain a social rhythm that is a closer fit with my introverted temperament - enjoying my relationships with individuals and occasional low key small groups. Tomorrow I will pull up my learned and well-developed skills of working and thriving in an extroverted world. I'm borrowing part of the previous sentence from a book that seem like a blessed drink of sweet, cool nectar for folks who find their energy drained by group interaction; who think they aren't good in conversation; who struggle with what they think is shyness.


Dr. Marti Olsen Laney draws from current brain research in her book The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World. I read this insightful book a few years ago and deeply wished it had been written in my early twenties. For example, I used to berate myself for not having an immediate response when asked a question. Dr. Laney discusses language processing systems in the brain and shows that the "introverted" brain actually has a different route of information processing than the "extroverted" brain. A simple "let me think about that for a second" helps create a little time for the system to do its job.


This morning post is "part I" for my last day of summer. I hadn't planned on writing or thinking about temperaments but as I gather my energy, it is a very relevant topic. I'm want to watch a DVD on equine temperaments - something I will develop in a later post.

For all of you are returning to work and school, enjoy your last day of summer. For parents who are counting the minutes to the start of school, its only hours away!


3 comments:

mj said...

I can totally relate. I hope that you have a school year full of enriching experiences, both for you and the students! Take a big deep breath and enjoy.

Lori Skoog said...

I retired from teaching in 2000 and believe me, there is nothing like it.
I will confess that I did like my joy tho.

Michelle said...

I can relate to this as well. I am intrigued by the book you mentioned and I'm going to check it out! Good luck with your reintroduction to the extrovert world. =)