Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lyra Runs to Me

Tonight I called Red and as usual he started right for me. It was almost dark and I couldn't see any other horses. As Red got closer I could hear the hoof beats of a horse galloping in our direction. Out of the dark appeared Lyra, determined to join us for dinner. Lyra, who once took 45 minutes to catch. She likes to stand with her head next to me, eyes closed while I gently trace small circles on the pressure points under her eyes. She makes little sighs of contentment. Lyra is happy and has become a confident, secure horse. I am so moved by this lovely mare, whose grace and sweetness survived years of neglect.

As we move into our fall routines, my little herd and I take pleasure and comfort from one another. This will be my fourth winter with Red, my second with Lyra. We have developed our rituals and each do our part to move from field to barn where they wait eagerly yet calmly while I mix their dinner. I am so grateful for these two horses, and their gifts of relationship. Rain is coming, the darkness is lengthening, and I'm looking forward to sharing the chill evenings of fall and winter with my horses and friends in the Redwood Barn.

4 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

People without horses find it difficult to understand the relationship you can have with these beautiful 4 footed creatures (just work). You described yours perfectly...mutual admiration!

Grey Horse Matters said...

I can only say that I know how you feel. Our horses all have much different personalities and yet they all enjoy their personal time at night with us. Some pointing to where we should give them a scratch,rub or just a hug. I treasure my time with the horses and can honestly say they make me feel special by simply allowing me to be included in their world.

Michelle said...

What a beautiful post...I love those moments with horses! I think that's my "high" - the moment when you have that connection, feel their breath against your face.....Mmmmm, I miss my girl now!

Cactus Jack Splash said...

A big sigh....
A peaceful picture you have painted