Thursday, September 3, 2009

Skywatch Friday: Full Moon


This rather dark and unclear photo was taken last night as I walked with my horse Red through a field toward his herd. I was taken with the full moon and the thought that its light was also shining on the bands of Pryor Mountain mustangs that are being "culled" by the Bureau of Land Management, part of the US Department of the Interior responsible for large tracts of land in the United States. Despite pleas for wild horse advocates and a passionate letter from a Congressmen, the "round-up started today. If you are interested in reading more about this particular band of mustangs, brought to international attention through a series of videos about one of the stallions, Cloud, visit the following links:

Wild Horse Public Service Announcement
The Cloud Foundation
Grey Horse Matters: Update on Cloud's Herd
Horse Centric: The Plan to Kill Off the Mustangs
American Mustang Foundation



For more pictures of skies across the world, visit Skywatch Friday.

4 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Beautiful picture.

Celeste Maia said...

I tried to go to your One Red Horse blog, but access was denied. So I came here instead. I read the comment you left at Caroline's Crawyons wonderful blog and was curious to visit you. I see you are very involved with horses and I know nothing about horses. Except that I spent 4 days at a friend's farm in Portugal (I live in Spain but was in Portugal for the summer) and he breeds Lusitanian horses and I was fascinated by them. I show some photos.
So hello and greetings from Madrid!

Crayons said...

"As I walked with my horse Red through a field..." Now that is one beautiful and captivating image for me. I applaud your efforts to protect these mustang. They are one of a whole sea of creatures who can't write to their representatives.

Shirley said...

Had to laugh, I took a bunch of photos exactly like this, with my lir=ttle fillies and the full moon. Didn't post them. (Yet).