Saturday, October 17, 2009

Think I'm Making Some Progress With Red's Contracted Heels



I started learning to trim in August of 2007 after Red got this pasture trim.


Red always came up lame after these trims and would hobble around for about 3 weeks. Sometimes it is this kind of trim that causes folks to think that their horse cannot go baref0ot. To keep the heels from growing too long the sole at the front of the foot is trimmed, usually flat as if for shoes. This takes away the horse's toe callous, thins the sole, and destroys whatever concavity the hoof may have established.

For the last eight weeks I have been using a heel bevel and trimming on a 1 1/2 week trim cycle. The heel bevel is described by Pete Ramey on his amazing DVD series Under the Horse (3rd disk). Years of shoeing had left Red's heels severely contracted and full of thrush/yeast infection. I think the heel bevel is helping us to turn the corner and finally his hoofs are starting to open. See pictures of my entire trim and read what folks have to say on my post over at the Horse City Hoof Forum.



7 comments:

horseideology said...

Those changes are looking good. Contracted heels require such a long term management; glad he is looking better under your care.

Lori Skoog said...

You are one talented horse owner.

jrosey said...

Wow! Definitely looking better! Thanks for this post...I'm dealing with the same issue with Caspian. Thankfully, I now have a farrier who is working to remedy the problem...I think the previous one was part of the problem. So frustrating!

Sara said...

Nice progress! It's interesting to read about you using the bevel on the heels. At my last trim, my trimmer (whose site is linked on your blog) started using a heel bevel for the first time. It was such a change from what she had taught me that we had a nice little discussion about it. :)

Michelle said...

I see posts like yours about owners taking charge of their horses feet, and I am just amazed. This is one of those areas that I'm never 100% satisfied with and often wish I could just take control of it myself. How did you learn to do this? What got you started? I'm just so afraid that I'll screw my horses feet up that I'm afraid to try.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Wow his feet are looking good

gtyyup said...

His progress is wonderful! It's hard work, but so worth it. I'm sure Red appreciates it!