Monday, November 23, 2009

I Want to Be Saying This When I'm 70!

My greatest blessing is that I still play with horses. When I was down with the flu I was flooded with awareness of my own mortality. In 13 short years I'll be 70. Just the time I've been working at my current job as a school social worker. I'm grateful for each day I get to "play with horses" and think 13 more years plus a few is not too long to continue this joy.

I love this picture of Red. I actually snuck up on him and his cute head
popped up with total surprise to see mom.

He immediately headed toward me, happy to get to come in and get attention.
Once, he hated to be futzed with, now he can't get enough.

Lyra and her friend Ty were hanging out in one of the redwood groves that serves as a barn for the general pasture herd. Lyra is more hesitant about leaving, still, but willingly heads towards me.

Not fast enough for Red Horse.


He loves to lead the way back to the Redwood Barn.


Lena gets mentioned here - she wins the stubborn, bull headed dog award. While I was sick she broke out of the back yard no less than TWELVE times. Broke my new gate, then dug through the wood when I fixed the latch. Bad Dog!


I'm paying close attention to Red and Lyra's water intake. The colder weather sure makes a difference in their thirst. This is still a high risk time for colic. Think I'm going to start putting salt in their Nutrena Safe Choice.

Did I mention mud?



It sure is great to be well, have my full energy back,
and once again be able to enjoy my very full life.

13 comments:

mountain.mama said...

You and I are the same distance from 70! I hadn't thought of it because I've been stewing about 60. No matter, being in good health is what it's all about. So glad you are feeling better now.

Grey Horse Matters said...

I've got 12 yr.s til 70. Hope we're all able to still keep doing what we love. Your pictures were all very cute. As for mud, ha, I've got you beat there, yesterday I sunk in over my ankles and my daughter actually had to help pull me out, the boots came right off my feet!

Lori Skoog said...

Cheri, Mountain Mama and Grey Horse! I have you all beat as I only have 4 more years. I rode yesterday, still take care of 5 horses and am wildly active. I plan to continue as long as I am breathing!

By the way, the photos were great today.

Tami said...

Big Amen to the first sentiment!

Once Upon an Equine said...

Great bumper sticker. Hope I can put live up to that too. Fun pics of your horses. Cute one with the tongue sticking out.

enlightenedhorsemanship.net said...

I like the one where Red seems to be playing peekaboo through the branches. Cute~

CTG Ponies said...

So glad to see that you are feeling better! I hope to play with horses until my end of days. I love that first pic of Red.

Michelle said...

I love the first photo of Red!! What a great expression. And the one with the tongue out is cute too.... Hey, I'm sticking firmly with my belief that you are only as old as you feel and (for the most part) these horses keep us young....well except for those grey hairs they give us. Or is that just me? =)

Cactus Jack Splash said...

I hope you are playing with horses into your 90's. I want to be playing with horses until the day I die

Breathe said...

I hope to play with horses as long as this woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P6aJ7h8uLc&feature=player_embedded

Breathe said...

By the way we had to resort to an electrical fence wire to keep our dogs in. It sounds cruel, but I was getting worried that I'd find them on the road, squished...

horseideology said...

I also love the pic of Red as he pokes his head over the bush, sighting you. So adorable and uniquely horsey; captures all that we love about horses in just that one photo (i.e. curiousity, beauty, alertness, and interest in us!)

Kate said...

Fun photos - just discovered you! I've got 14 years to 70, and I agree about wanting to continue being with horses to 70 and beyond if I can. There's one lady at our barn who is in her mid-70s and works with her horse, a 20yo Morgan mare, almost every day.