Thursday, December 24, 2009

Don't Fence Me In . . . Or Else!


Why is Lyra is refusing to look in my direction?

I rent an extra facility - a very nice little round pen, so I can sometimes keep Lyra "in" and feed her extra. Like last night. A clear and chill night, perfect time to keep her overnight in the round pen with some quality hay and extra Moorglo (my current product of choice for weight gain).

I had Red in the pen, so thought I'd bring in Lyra, and take out Red. Easy switch. Not. Lyra was determined she would not be left alone. She hooked her head over Red's withers and literally held on. When I tried to bring him out while blocking her, she kept her death grip (with her neck) and pushed him into the side of the pen, pinning him there. Just like a ginormous child wrapped around their parent's legs screaming, don't leave me!!!!!!

This morning she would not look at me. She stood with her head facing her beloved herd in the general pasture. Only the promise of getting out of her hated prison brought her around to face in my direction.

Later, when cleaning the pen, I found her final revenge. All that great, nourishing hay was thoroughly scattered and ground into the mud. I really think she didn't take more than a few bites.

I imagine her "point of view". Last night as I got ready to say good night she was making very unhappy horse noises and looking at me, and at the gate, and at me, and at the gate. Did not need an animal communicator to get her message. And I ignored it, deciding I knew best.

Think how many times we ignore our horse's messages, delivered loud and clear, and then call their response to being ignored "bad behavior". I don't think I'm going to keep her in overnight anymore. She becomes so stressed, there is no benefit I can think of. Next time Lyra asks, "let me out of here" I will.

6 comments:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

She is turning into quite a character.
Have a Merry Christmas

Lori Skoog said...

If she is not going to eat, she will burn off more calories being anxious...I vote that she goes out with the others.

Hope all is well and you are haaving a very Merry Christmas!

Amanda said...

I say let horses be horses.....I have learnt that it is us humans who put all these restrictions and boundries on our equine frinds thinking we are doing what is best for them....when reallly all they want is freedom.

But it is so hard to think like a horse and I guess they think it is hard to think like a human :-)

Kate said...

She is beautiful - and smart! Sounds like a plan.

Once Upon an Equine said...

Yep, sounds like she made her choice clear. You are wise to listen. Sorry about all the wasted hay.

horseideology said...

I know what you are writing about, as I had a special needs horse (Cushings) and keeping her apart from othes, off of grass, was heart rending. Sometimes there is no easy solution when you are "mommy."