Sunday, January 10, 2010

Aftermath


Yesterday there was an earthquake. It was 6.5, yet felt more intense.
It could have been much worse. I am fine and my house is not damaged.


I've spent the day cleaning up things shaken off the shelves. I was taking a nap when it started. Great metaphor. As I grabbed my jeans I kept thinking - dang, why didn't I finish that earthquake kit? What did I grab besides my pants? A knife, flashlight, and a leash for the dogs.


Was I frightened? Heck yes. But my greatest fear came from not knowing if this was the "big one" that visits the Humboldt Coast every few hundred years. I've been in several earthquakes and this felt the most intense, though it was not the biggest on the Richter scale.



In less than an hour I was walking the fence line of the general pasture, wanting to be sure it was intact. Grateful. Shaken. Comforted by the calm of the horses and the beauty of the sunset. Thinking what I need to do to prepare.

PS Sheeesh, only on Facebook! There is a "I survived the Eureka 2010 Earthquake" Group. Of course I joined. There are lots of pictures that show the outcome - not tragic fortunately, but definitely sobering.


6 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Glad there was no major damage and that you,the horses and animals are all okay. I'd have been scared too.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

So glad that you only had a incontinent mess to clean up

Lori Skoog said...

I can't imagine! Glad all is ok. Get that kit together!!!!

Breathe said...

Glad everything is okay, and I hope the earth stays still long enough for your kit to come together!

mountain.mama said...

Whew! You made it and then it was beautiful.

Michelle said...

I never even thought about the complications of earthquakes in regards to our pets. I guess we all have our local challenges to deal with - what are the biggest worries for horses in earthquake prone areas? Here in Florida, the biggest fear is lightening strikes, followed by pest borne diseases, and tornadoes.