Friday, January 15, 2010

Bay Mare and Moose are Safe!!!!


Tonight we have a good ending to a not-so-nice story. Tonight Bay Mare got to come in to eat, be groomed, and evaluated for immediate needs. She walked through the dark, left the pasture where she has lived for months, and stepped with complete calmness and trust into the warmth of the Redwood Barn. Diving into a pile of grass hay, she sighed and literally melted into our touch. This is a sweet, sweet mare. Here is the rest of the story.

On Wednesday our barn manager left me a message to call him. I did not get the message until Thursday night and Friday was so crazed that it was evening before we talked. Meanwhile I had been feeding Bay Mare in the pasture after everyone was gone. When the b. manager and I talked he said he had already sold the 2 horses - to my friend Jennifer who is in Prineville, Oregon going to saddle making school!!!! Jennifer did not even know that Bay Mare was starving - she just knew that their owner was in arrears and that the b. manager was going to take the two horses "over the hill" to auction which these days doesn't offer much hope for a horse. She bought them for the price of horse meat. We talked tonight and I have her complete agreement to start the rehab process. This is turning into a community project.

Bay Mare and Moose when they first entered the GP in May, 2009

Tomorrow I will take in a fecal sample and schedule a vet appointment. I am so relieved. This is the first time all week I will go to sleep without worry. All of your comments and encouragement meant so much to me when I felt I was in a nasty double bind needing to stay in a positive relationship with the barn manager while not taking any visible action to help horses I didn't have "official" access to. Thus the "midnight" feed runs. From the late night feedings, she already seems to have more energy.

Bay Mare trusted me and my friend Sherri without hesitation tonight. I could rage for a considerable amount of time about the people who did this. Instead, I will marvel at horses' capacity and willingness to trust after they have been grievously neglected.

Bay Mare in May, 2009

13 comments:

Kate said...

That is such wonderful news! You, and your friend, are wonderful people to undertake that and see it through - those horses now have a chance at a good life.

Lori Skoog said...

Both horses were beautiful when they arrived! Thank you thank you. It is hard not to think about them. Doesn't it restore your faith in the human spirit to have this kind of an ending? And you pulled it all together in the nick of time. Cherie, I commend you for taking action. Please keep us posted as they move to their new home.

mj said...

I'm so happy for both the two horses and you. It is a good thing that you are doing. It is truly amazing what can happen to an animal in such a short time when they are not receiving TLC and attention. Once again, I'm so glad that you hung in there and did something!!

gtyyup said...

Great news!! You did a wonderful job at getting something done without causing an uproar...kudos to you!

Breathe said...

What wonderful news and thank you for being so persistent to find a way to save them! They look like they were beautiful horses, I can't believe some would abandon them. We had a horse abandoned at our barn, but the BO still fed her...

Which is how it should be.

One Red Horse said...

Gotta give credit to my friend Jennifer who bought them when she heard they were headed to auction. She did not know that I was working on things as she is out of town for a few weeks. I will be working on the rehab end of things.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Job well done. I know that they will be so much better with your care. Way to stick with it

Amy said...

your barn owner sounds like an ass. that type of nonchalance and disinterest is fine if you are storing machinery on your property -- but not giving a GD about animals? Wow. ive seen that on private property, but a boarding facility? im totally shocked. you guys should keep your eyes open for other options for all your horses. if one of your horses goes down in the pasture does the Barn owner not notice on purpose? its not his concern?

Grey Horse Matters said...

I'm so happy to hear that this turned out so well. It's wonderful that you and your friends could bring about their rescue. Thank goodness there were people around who noticed their distress and acted on it, even if it was by unauthorized midnight express.

I wasn't going to say anything about this but it's nagging at me. When we had a boarding/training barn we had people on and off who were in arrears quite often (that's one of the reasons I'd never do it again) but we never stopped feeding their horses or caring for them. And taking them to auction was the last thing on our minds. In fact there was one horse who was abandoned for months and we thought the girl just left him, when she finally showed up, she didn't even recognize her own horse, because he had been taken care of better than she had ever done. I have no use for people who treat horses like they don't exist because of money issues. Sorry, I had to say it all.

CoyoteFe said...

You are Grace personified. Thanks for carrying the light!

jrosey said...

Oh wow...what a great turn of events for those two horses. Way to go.

horseideology said...

I've been afraid to visit so very glad to read this good news! YEAH!!!

Michelle said...

Great news!! Good work in persisting to get this resolved. The horse world needs more people like you!