Saturday, January 16, 2010

Her Name is Autumn


When I made an appointment for a vet exam, the clinic checked their patient data base for a quarter horse named Moose. They found one who was nine years old and was listed with a 23 years old mare. Bingo. Someone named her Autumn. Welcome Autumn. I will be her caretaker until she is healed and we can find the right home for her.





Moose has been Autumn's leader and protector for the 10 months I have known them. He is very devoted to her and is troubled that she has been taken from his side to eat and heal. A very solid boy, he appears wormy but has not suffered the weight loss of his sweetie. My friend will be his caretaker. Moose, who I am calling Mosely, waited by the gate for hours and hours, calling to Autumn. What will happen to their relationship?




Tomorrow I will trim his hoofs. They have some nasty forward flares that look very uncomfortable. I worked on Autumn's front hoofs today. Cary (with Mosley in pictures) is going to help me tomorrow, so I should be able to get all their hoofs trimmed in much more comfy.


5 comments:

Breathe said...

Oh, that picture of her back is just awful. Poor Mosley too. Little does he know that she's in good hands...

Grey Horse Matters said...

Autumn is a beautiful name for a beautiful girl. Mosley should know that she is still there and being taken care of. Is it possible to just walk her over to the gate for a short visit, I'm sure that would set his mind at ease.

Lori Skoog said...

Another big thank you to you and your friend for stepping up with these animals. Is anyone helping you pay the bills? At your facility, don't all the horses get wormed at the same time? If not, how do you ever get rid of them? Please keep us posted. It is so good to know that someone is willing to advocate for Autumn and the Moose. Hopefully you can get rid of their worms...that has to be part of the reason Autumn is so skinny.

gtyyup said...

Autumn is in good hands now. Can't Moose and her stay together?

Cactus Jack Splash said...

I was wondering the same thing...is there any way to keep them together?
I know how attached Freedom is to Salty, he cries like a baby when he can't see him so we make sure Freedom always has his Salty