Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sad: Two More Horses That No One Wants


Tonight I'm thinking of the many wonderful people I've met over the last few years who open their hearts to horses. Many of you have been involved intensely with rescue work and have courageously found answers that saved horses who would have been lost without your aid. My "saving" energy has gone into my sweet grannie horse Lyra. She just had her teeth done and I learned that her age is more "around" 25 than 20. I would save more, if I could. Right in the very place I find such joy, the general pasture at Freshwater, are two who need someone to help. Quickly, I suspect.


He is a big boned, nine year old, quarter type gelding. A blood bay. I just found out his name is Moose. His mare is a petite 23 year old thoroughbred who was sleek and lovely when she entered the GP months ago. Moose is fiercely protective of her, runs off any horse that looks at his girl. Even Red. No one has come to care for Moose and his sweetie through the long cold months. They have dropped their weight. The mare is in trouble. I wrote about her earlier in the week.


Tonight Bay Mare kept laying down. She had a hard time getting up. Moose stayed close by. Loyalty - horses have it in their bones. I came close to Bay Mare and she nickered to me. Soft, scared eyes. She knows. I had written my barn manager a note about her eariler in the week. Tonight I called him. He called their owner and then told me that he or she is coming to check on them tomorrow, but they are in arrears and probably won't want the horses. Not want their horses? What kind of people take such vivid personalities with such clear and shining spirits and leave them to fend for themselves for MONTHS and then decide they don't want them? Not want Moose and his bay mare? If the owners of Moose and Bay Mare don't pay their bill, then they will get sold or taken over the mountains to auction. These days only the meat folk buy horses like this at auctions.



I want to save Moose and Bay Mare. I told my barn manager to tell me before anyone started talking about hauling horses to auction. I have a two horse herd. That is what I can do well. And I cannot let Moose and Bay Mare fall by the way side. I've walked beside them in the herd for months. Don't know what the answer will be. Tonight they will be in my prayers.





12 comments:

Esther Garvi said...

I read you!

Still hoping Ebony over here is going to make it; she has lots of issues and I just need to make sure I go about very slowly, so I don't kill her with kindness (overfeed her). Lyra is one lucky girl! Hope the others find a heart to connect with too!

Breathe said...

I don't understand how people can turn away from an animal with whom they've been entrusted. I do hope you can find someone there who can help...

Lori Skoog said...

Cherie...have these two horses been wormed or given grain? Did they ever have their teeth done? They are too young to be in that condition. These stories kill me. Would any other people at your barn help to get them back on their feet? How sad. Do they ever get touched? I could not stand by and do nothing.

Grey Horse Matters said...

It's always such a sad situation when people don't take their responsibilities to their animals seriously. Out of sight - out of mind. I feel so sorry for these horses and wish I could do something to help them. I think Lori had great suggestions and I wonder if everyone at the barn could sort of chip in and all become foster parents to these poor horses. Good luck and I hope you find some help for them.

Michelle said...

This is so sad to hear. I'm a little confused though....is the barn owner/manager completely uninvolved in the horses on the property? It seems to me that as the owner, one should be keeping up on this information before it gets to this critical stage. I sure know if I had someone else's horses on my property that were not being cared for properly something would have been done a long time ago. I do hope that somehow an answer is provided....have you seen that viral video on Youtube about the rescue dog? Maybe you should take a video, post it everywhere you can and start a fund for these guys. Bet you'd get enough donations to cover getting them healthy again and properly rehomed.

One Red Horse said...

We have one local equine rescue and one large rescue that also works with horses (Lyra is from there). The local equine rescue recommends first making contact with horses' owners. I know everyone at the barn, but there are several owners who never come there. These are some in that category. That is what the barn manager has to do. It is very sad that when I talked to him about these horses he said, "they are not our responsibility, its up to the owners to check on them." This was just awful to hear. I kept on talking and he agreed to call them. He then came out the the GP to let me know about the conversation. My next step will be to call the rescue or the sheriff. Our county's animal control is not great.

Esther - I think Ebony will make it, she seems so determined.

Breathe - I agree, how can they turn away?

Lori, I do not believe that these horses have any care, but I honestly could have missed something. They are not being fed. To take the horses out of the GP, I have to have permission. Haven't got that yet. Last night I tried to feed Bay Mare in the GP. It had to be one hand full at a time because there were so many hungry(but not starving) horses who tried to cut in. It became unsafe to put anything on the ground.

GHM and everyone, thanks for your ideas and encouragement.

One Red Horse said...

Michelle, The barn manager told me that "they" are not responsible to care for the horses in the general pasture. This is not a man to argue with, then nothing will happen. So, I continued to express my worry and sadness and he said he would call the owners. They are supposed to come out today. The manager is going to have a "meeting" with them because they owe lots of back rent.

Lori Skoog said...

I'm back. What Michelle said is right on. The property manager should be more concerned about the horses and if he were a responsible person, should have done something about this long ago. How can he and the others who have horses there stand by and watch them get to this point. If I were there, I would make sure they were getting some grain with beet pulp and some brushing. To turn away is inexcusable. Sorry if this sounds nasty, but these horses are trapped and the humans are not even acknowledging them. Pretty sad.

horseideology said...

If you need financial help to get them let me know by email at rlm at horseideology dot com I can't send anything until the 15th but could scrape something up - could send more at the end of the month - can do so my paypal or other means.

They are in my thoughts as you are...

horseideology said...

Sorry wrong email - reach me at eqenlighten (at) yahoo (dot) com.

CTG Ponies said...

I'm so glad that you have taken an interest in the welfare of these horses. I know that it's hard to stand by and watch this unfold but you are doing the right thing by following the channels that you are. Someone needs to keep an eye out. Please keep us posted.

Michelle said...

I'm not going to judge because I don't know the situation that those horses are in, but the barn owner's "laissez-faire" attitude is really disturbing to me. I certainly hope that all the horse owners at this property are diligent about their horses care, as it appears that this guy is not. Hope some resolution is reached soon.