Sunday, February 7, 2010

Princess Autumn



Wanted to take many photos of this engaging little horse so I could show her amazing progress. I'm still in the adjustment phase of having three horses and photo taking has sort of gone the way of blog writing, not so much these days. This one shot says it all for me - Autumn was once a princess and she has reclaimed her throne. I have become her personal minion. Can you read her expression? "Step lively there minion, fetch me my next course, how about some of that lovely beet pulp."

Three weeks have passed since we brought Autumn in. She has moved from being a horse in crisis to a much-less-but-still skinny horse who is full of life and energy. Well behaved and polite, she has clear preferences like "You can just take away this nasty grass hay and please return with my yumsy alfalfa." She has become my horse officially, our local rescue is full with only six horses. My little herd has become three. For now.

14 comments:

Kate said...

Love the expression!

Lori Skoog said...

Thank you! for taking on the Princess. She is a very lucky girl. What has happened to the gelding?

Look forward to your pictures of her progress.

Have a great week.

Mrs Mom said...

Awww! She is sucha sweetie! Your timing is great- I was wondering how the horses were doing. Glad to hear she will be with you, and that she is gaining!

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Congratulations on your third horse. She is very fortunate to be in your loving care. The change in her expression is wonderful to see

Sydney said...

What a cutie. Doesn't it make you feel good to know your helping another creature in need.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Princess Autumn looks wonderful and happy now. I'm sure she's very grateful to you for helping her heal, in all ways.

Good luck with your new herd size. I know how much work it can be. We have 8 at the moment and with the snow and ice here there's a lot of work to be done.

Breathe said...

What wonderful news about Autumn. She's so beautiful. She certainly appreciates the good life now!

mmm Alfalfa. The creme brulee of horse feed.

We minions are quite crazy, aren't we?

mj said...

Reminds me of playing "peek-a-boo" with a little kid.

Laura Hegfield said...

such a beauty. How blessed she is to have found a home with you and your herd.

Michelle said...

I'm so glad she has you in her life! She is such a doll, and it's so sweet that her personality is emerging this way. So happy for you and your three ponies!

the wild magnolia said...

A Fetching photo of the Pricess. I love it.

Bless your heart for the work you do.

grandma Jeanie said...

Princess looks like a kind horse with soft eyes. I like her.

There are so many unwanted horses these days. Such a shame. The economy has not helped here in the midwest. More folks are giving up equine.

the wild magnolia said...

Pretty Princess, I think she is saying, "Whatcha doin` now Mom?"

She is so beautiful....

allhorsestuff said...

Awesome!!! I just traveled back to see where this fine mare came from. Autumn is special but your heart- may it be blessed for taking her in...I know it will be too, by her!
KK