Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Buddy Sour No More - errrr, Not So Much Anyways




Last weekend Red and I participated in a Trail Trials event at Cuneo Creek. We competed in the novice class and actuall won 5th place in our age category. Even more exciting - we achieved a HUGE goal. We rode solo on the trail. I was stoked. Red? Not so much. But he dealt with being a lone horse in what he perceives as a world of horse-eating predators. We have been working for trail confidence since last year when our friend Laura gave fair warning that she wanted to ride solo in Trail Trials come summer 2010.

Even though Red is 18, he behaves as if he never walked a trail without the company of other horses. When we leave our home stable of Freshwater, he panics when his traveling buddies leave his sight. Here is my dear ninny horse last Friday, freaking out in his pen as he watched his friends walk away with their humans.

Hey, where did everyone go?

Come on guys, don't leave me here by myself.

Guys?

I better run around a little so the horse-eating monsters can see how fast I am.

Isn't anyone there? (Cherie, sorry but you're just a human.)

Well, maybe I can handle hanging out with just Cherie.

You can see that even with hours and hours and hours of work, being left behind by his temporary herd overwhelms Red with concern. This has been a dangerous tendency when his "buddies" left him on the trail. Finding himself alone, Red would go into full alert. As his fear would elevates, his regard for my direction would decrease. I was left sitting a horse that felt as if he was about to explode, one who was determined to regain the safety of his friends at all costs. While his fear of being eaten, or whatever, has not evaporated, his willingness to trust in our partnership has grown.

I think several strategies were critical in laying a foundation for our success. One - lots of trail time. When riding with friends, I would ride Red away from the group. We started by veering off and taking just a few steps in another direction. Over time our "independent" forays built up to a few hundred feet. This summer I have been taking Red on walks into the woods (walking side by side). Whenever Red's head elevated (signaling his anxiety) I'd cue him to drop his head and then scratch his special spots on his belly to reward and further calm him. If possible, I would find ways in camp to have Red leave his "herd" rather than wait for the herd to leave Red- this seemed easier for him to accept. Finally, our preparing for trail trials has really emphasized our work together as a team. I believe this has also contributed to Red's new confidence on the trail.

Cherie, I KNOW I saw one of those daisies move.
Don't ya know that bears love to hide under flowers?

Hmmmm, maybe this trail stuff isn't so bad, mind if I stop for a little munchie?

Here we go, me and Red Horse walking down the trail.


6 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Well, well, well....if it isn't Cherie and Red! Welcome back!!! I almost did not recognize your horse...has there been a change in his body? He looks lighter than I remember. Sounds to me like he was a good boy on that trail by himself.

What's the weather like out there? We are having one yucky heatwave.

Kate said...

Herd-boundness can be really hard to deal with, and dangerous - it sounds like you've make a huge amount of progress with it, slowly but surely!

Breathe said...

Cibolo is similar, and while he's a little better, it's something I need to be more diligent about. I take him on walks by himself but we need to get further from the barn...

Do you find he reverts to herd behavior when you're back out with other horses? Does it seem to unwind progress?

Is Red a QH? Cibolo has a similar build, a bit lean.

So many questions! LOL

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Great job both of you. Cherie you put a lot of work in to have this happen and it looks like it is paying off.

Sydney_bitless said...

Maybe my blogger has missed something but I Haven't seen a post from you in a long time! Long time no see.

I am working with a 10 year old gelding thats extremely attached to his mom. He will leave her to go off the farm someplace but if shes in his sight hes like a newborn foal.
I got him over it real quick by letting him spend a couple days tied at a hitching rail. He learned pawing, screaming and acting silly did not make his mom come back and nor did she care he was bellowing like a fool.

Carol said...

I really enjoyed reading this. Great pictures and captions :)