Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Summer Trail is Coming to an End . . .


It wasn't long ago that I posted Sha-na-na's Summertime on fb
and enjoyed the exhilaration and anticipation of the first days of summer.

I'm so lucky that I am an adult and I have the blessing of summer vacations.
Now the wheel has turned and here we are in the last days of summer.

(my friend Steamer)

Sweet, sad days full of longing. For? For childhood hopes
and dreams long slipped away into the stream of experience.

For the days spent living in my barn clothes, dirt under nails and hay in my hair.
A misplaced cowgirl, I've got to rejoin the grown up world.

I love my job, love those I work for, and those I work with.

And deep in my bones I will cherish the memories of strolling
through late afternoon sunlit meadows, calling for my Red Horse.


3 comments:

mj said...

I loved your post.
Brings back feelings for the start of every new school year, and the ending of the precious summer days spent with your horses.

Breathe said...

One day left. I can't believe it's over. The kids are excited and I'm glum.

I want another month. :)

Lori Skoog said...

I have been retired for 10 years and every single day has been amazing. Loved teaching, but this is unbelievable! Freedom beyond belief!
Don't work too hard.