Sunday, June 19, 2011

Have You Ever Gone On An Orb Hunt?


A WHAT? I can just hear everyone. Some of you may be smiling and thinking, "of course, ORBS!" Others may now be convinced I've finally gone round the bend. Come on folks, have you ever noticed that sometimes when you take a digital picture there is a odd little, round distortion? Or maybe a couple? Or hundreds!!!!!! What the heck do you think they are?


The first time I went orb-hunting was when I went on a three day ride. I was with my friend Laura. She had discovered orbs in some of her photos taken in the Trinity Alps. Silly us. We decided to go traipsing across the fields in the dark, pointing our cameras at weird angles and taking flash shots.

At first, we saw nothing.
Then one orb made an appearance. See it in the lower left corner.

Then suddenly many orbs appeared. My first successful orb hunt! I was hooked.

I have gotten into the habit of snapping a few "orb hunter" shots at night when I wait with Red while we go through our last ritual of the evening. We always stop on the way back to the pasture so he can munch on some of the "special" grass at the end of the driveway. He looks forward to this and reminds me if I forget.

See that little yellow light to the right of my face?

This is what it looks like close up.


It has turned up many times when I stand with Red while he grazes at the end of the drive way.


Here the little silly got into my hair.

Ye old manure pile is always certain to be a rich source of orb shots.

Sometimes a few show up inside the Redwood Barn, sometimes not.

This is what they look like enlarged. There are many variations.

Now you can bet that I have googled the heck out of the word "orb". OMG! I've found so many opinions about what orbs actually are: digital distortions, angels, pollen, extra-terrestrial beings, dust, inter-dimensional beings, moisture, fairies. There is even a book about orbs. I posted a picture on facebook and someone I know asked me if I could offer a "scientific explanation". I fretted about that one, worried that that person had just relegated me to her lunatic fringe list.


I can offer no explanation about orbs. I'm a little partial to the idea that maybe, just maybe, the flickering lights I capture with my flash are the result of an alchemical blend of science and old magic offering a momentary glimpse into the land of fae - ah, my wild imagination is showing. If your curiosity has been triggered, have fun orb hunting via google.

Meanwhile, if you ever drive by someone standing in a field in the dark, taking flash pictures of the sky, you will know you have witnessed an orb hunter fast on the trail of . . . well, I'll leave that to your imagination.






3 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Orbs have appeared in many of my photographs. Sometime when you are in the barn, take a photo...then rake the floor and take another photo. There should be more of them. Dust particles?

Cloudia said...

how magical! Glad I came here from Skoog Farm :)




Aloha from Honolulu :)

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

Anonymous said...

2 things,
(1.) Practical
To really get Camera problems with orbs go underwater, the flash reflects off particles, which is why UW cams usually have separate flash extensions. So I suspect dust or reflection flares.

(2.) Loonie
I was once in a room where a ball of light appeared, about a foot across, saw it first out of the corner of my eye, but slowly turned round to face it directly, just a ball of glowing white light - after about 20 or 30 seconds it just faded as if someone had turned down a dimmer switch. I don't know what it was, where it came from, or where it went.
We were actually conducting some Native American Ceremonies downstairs and the host seemed quite blase about it. I know what I saw, but I still don't know what it was. I was alone, and not taking drugs.