Wednesday, August 1, 2012

View From Our Summer Trail, 2012




Me and the herd are all "farther down the trail" than when I started sharing our stories.  The last two years have brought some challenges, as is true with so many folks.  My little herd of three still lives in the General Pasture, and while they have all achieved senior status, are doing fine.  I'm right there with them.

Yesterday we had a visit with one of our local vets, Dr. Branch.  He was very patient with my crotchety mares and took great care in doing their teeth.  Lyra, who is now close to 30, still has a decent grinding surface.  She has had a tough time the last 3 winters though.  We took a long look at quality of life issues.  Dr. Branch felt that as long as Lyra is  not in pain and enjoying her life, all is fine.  Lyra is currently part of a pasture band headed by a gorgeous young gelding and still gets great pleasure in kissing me for carrots.  Her life is good!



Autumn has thrived since almost starving to death in 2009.  She is around 25 now, a wonderful trail horse, and an easily worried, easily annoyed character.  When she is mad at me, she will run away when I come for her.  Today she is going to be mad (since I allowed her to be tortured yesterday).  Her teeth are a mess.  When Dr. Branch examined her, he kept saying to himself, "What am I going to do with this?"  She has severe waves on both sides of her jaw, and five loose teeth.  We agreed to leave the teeth alone and I will monitor for pain or infection.  This year her hind right hock has given her some problems, I have been using Acti-flex and I believe it is helping.


Red just keeps getting better and better!  He is the great love of my life.  He is so clear about who he is, what he wants, and does not hesitate to communicate his opinion.  Horses are so eloquent when we attend to their messages.  I am touched at how much he gives me, even when we are disagreeing or when he is being challenged.  On the trip pictured above, he was badly galled by the girth behind his left front elbow (still not sure how that happened).  While he tried to let me know (jigging), I misread his communication yet he kept on going. Red Horse has the quality of HEART to the fullest!   


There are some big changes on the trail ahead.  My job as a school social worker was reduced by .20 - major panic!  Just about exactly what it takes to maintain my little herd.  As sometimes happens, the space created in my life has been filled with some pretty exciting new opportunities.  This summer I have been teaching a school social work class that is necessary for the credential.  The class meets for 8 hours on Saturday - it had been hard work and I am learning as much as I am teaching.  In two weeks I start a new job teaching a social work field seminar, something I've wanted to do for years.  It will fit perfectly - both in terms of time and income, with my work at my schools.  While I am nervous about whether or not I will do a good job with my new responsibilities, I feel such relief and gratitude.



What We Need Is Here
Geese appear high over us,
pass, and the sky closes. Abandon,
as in love or sleep, holds
them to their way, clear
in the ancient faith: what we need
is here. And we pray, not
for new earth or heaven, but to be
quiet in heart, and in eye,
clear. What we need is here.
~ Wendell Berry ~


2 comments:

Shanna said...

I'm always amazed when one door closes, another door opens. Of course, it does help to have horses in the picture to lift our spirits (even if they do cause such worry). Glad to hear all is well.

Gaea Yudron said...

I found your blog at Beyond the Fields We Know....its name attracted me because I am a fan of Baba Yaga, too. I am writing a musical revue on aging titled A New Wrinkle and Baba Yaga sings two songs in it--one of them is Baba Yaga's Raga. You can read the lyrics and listen to an mp3 of it at my website, www.sagesplay.com