Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Goodbye My Watch-over-me Dog, Goodbye My Sweet Lena



On September 18th, shortly after 6:00 in the evening, 
Dr. Erzsi Willoughby  came to our house and euthanized Lena. 


 Dr. Willoughby, deeply intuitive and compassionate, helped Lena to gently slip the leash that bound her to this earth and enter the world of pure spirit.  I miss my constant companion intensely. 


Lena's number one job was to watch over me.  She was committed to this job
and was happiest when she was "going along" with me, wherever our trail might lead.



A likely aussie-kelpie mix, Lena cast a field of friendly cuteness that won 
her many friends.  She thrived around people, lived for the sound of jangling car keys,
and was completely committed to her number one charge - me. 


While cute, Lena packed a ton of fierce determination that she tried to express through
alpha dog moves on Stella, my pitt/shepherd girl, and other dog friends.


Through all the rough and tumble doggie games, she more than held her own.


Lena's expressive face would shine with canine joy
 whenever she heard the magic words, "Lets GO" . . .  


. . . that would send her sprinting across the road into one of her favorite
 places  -  the 90 acres where my horses live.


Over the years she joyously leaped and dashed along
 miles and miles of trails that led through the general pasture.


There she could regularly find the nastiest piles . . . 


. . . that would send her into fits of pure ecstasy.


Our shared trail was full of opportunities for exploration and partnership..


She was amazing around the horses.

  

And was always there, always listening, watching my every move.


We would play zoomies . . . 


. . . she loved racing away from me, then turn and speed back to my side.


There was never a time, even near the very end,
 that Lena would pass up my invitation, "Lets go".


















Wait for me my good dog, I'll catch up with you on the trail home.

6 comments:

Kerry Griffith said...

Beautiful pictures. So sad you lost your beautiful and fine companion. This is a nice tribute. Very very touching. Lives shared, lives lived, a faithful companion is such a great gift! Dogs are gifts for us to love and cherish on this earth.

Kate said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I enjoyed your photos of your wonderful girl and all the things you did together - I hope the memories help ease the pain of the loss.

Lori Skoog said...

So sorry. I know how much you love your animals. You were fortunate to have each other. Sweet Lena.

kerrdelune said...

Just rereading this again now and thinking how lucky we are to have such bright spirits in our lives...

I still miss my Cassie and know that she is waiting patiently for me in the green hills beyond the bridge from here to there

Anonymous said...

Got here by ways of the Baba Yagas I guess and found your writing very beautiful. I miss all my dogs who have died. That was a nice tribute to yours.

Marie

pony rentals georgia said...

Breathtaking photos of dogs and horses, love reading your blog.